|Prep Time||20 minutes|
|Cook Time||3 hours|
|Passive Time||2.5 hours|
- 1 Boneless Pork Shoulder 4-5 pounds
- 2 tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 cloves Garlic Crushed
- 2 Medium Yellow Onions Rough chop
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Fresh Oregano Leaves Chopped
- 11/2 teaspoon Fresh Thyme Leaves
- 1/2 cup Fresh Cilantro Chopped
- 4 Bay Leaves
- 1/4 head Red Cabbage Shredded
- 2 Ancho Chiles Thinly sliced
- 1 Red Mango Diced
- 2 Avocado Diced
- 2 Limes, Juiced
- 2 cups Orange Juice
- 28 ounces Canned Whole Tomatoes
- 2 cups Chicken Stock
- 1 cup Queso Fresco Crumbled
- 16 Corn Tortillas Charred and kept warm
- 4 tablespoons RUB1OUT Pork Rub
- 1/2 cup Mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons Sriracha
- Preheat the oven to 325°. Season the pork with RUB1OUT Pork Rub - apply to all sides. Let it sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Heat a large Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot on high heat with 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil. Place the pork in the pot and evenly brown on all sides (approximately 10 to 12 minutes). Remove the pork and set on a plate.
- Turn the heat down to medium-high. Add extra virgin olive oil. Add onions, garlic, oregano, ancho chili (one slice), and two bay leaves. Cook for 7-8 minutes.
- Deglaze the pot by adding orange juice and scraping the bits stuck to the bottom of the pot. Add the chicken stock. Return the pork to the pot (the liquid should cover 2/3 of the pork). Cover the pot and put it in the oven for 2.5 hours. Turn the pork halfway through cooking.
- Remove the pot from the oven when the pork is nice and tender. Remove the pork from the pot and let it rest on a cutting board (tent with foil if desired). Once the pork has cooled (10 minutes), shred pork (use meat shredder or two forks).
- Simmer the braising liquid over medium heat and add lime juice and chili pepper (about 10 minutes). Then, add shredded pork and let simmer for 15 minutes to absorb the juices and flavor.
- In a bowl, mix mayonnaise and sriracha to make sriracha aioli.
- Serve your pork with tortillas, diced mango, shredded cabbage, avocado, sriracha aioli, cilantro, and crumbled cheese. If desired, add pickled onion and your favorite salsa.
- PREPARE TO ENTER YOUR HAPPY PLACE!